This is a list in progress. Your contribution is invited.
There are issues in compiling such a catalogue:
- I have sometimes made an arbitrary distinction between a solo song and a choral piece; but sometimes a unison piece is sung by a choir.
- Does writing one choral piece constitute a composer of choral music? If not, then how many are an acceptable catalogue? There is no useful answer to this question.
- Who may claim to be an Australian composer? One born here? An immigrant? An Australian-born person who lives elsewhere? I have taken the broad view, and all are accepted.
- If a person is an arranger of an existing work, does this constitute being a composer? My decision has been in the affirmative – after all Bach used pre-existing music as the basis of composition!
- While I have delved into the past via dictionaries and old scores, there is information that will not have come my way. You are welcome to add to, and correct, my attempt!
- The dates of birth of some composers are mentioned in historic sources, but not the dates of death, which may have occurred after the publication of the source.